SEARCH THIS BLOG

Friday, December 18, 2009

Accidental Rhythm, Avant-Gardener Tony Oxley, and a Day as Beautiful as the Chance Encounter of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella on an Operating Table

There is the intentional and then there is serendipity, joyful accidents, chance, bald eagle mating rituals, and Tony Oxley's toaster-oven-in-the-bathtub drumming style....my favorite.

The rapture of ubiquity, god-as-child anything goes snowball fight in the howling void; automatic avant-gardner turning on the sprinkler at midnight, and that glorious alpha cowbell of the underworld stolen out of Picasso's backyard! (check the video below)

Today was an exalted day for me. Not only did I walk to Wal-Mart to buy nothing but I had a magical chance encounter with Mr. Sheldon Kreger, a truly fantastic human being/drummer/physicist. We talked about particle accelerators, John Hagelin, snowboarding, black holes, open source software and DRUMS!!

In the Christmas spirit, in the sanctity of a full on drum geek-out session he gave me some incredible recordings of Peter Erskine, Antonio Sanchez, Paul Motian, and Steve Smith to name a few of the many I am excited about!

Thank you Sheldon and let the 365 days of Christmas begin!


5 comments:

  1. That is so cool that you met him. These are the kind of happenings which, to me, are signs. Signs that everything is designed perfectly whether we know it or not. These signs give me strength. Not just when I notice them happening to myself but also when others share. thanks.
    Love, Lisa C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awesome chance encounter. I bet you will have lots of insights to share as you are checking out those recordings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you truly amaze me with every drum beat that leaves your body to enchant with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooh an anonymous comment HOW EXCITING :) thanks beautiful people

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony Oxley is so beautifully relaxed and fluid!!!

    ReplyDelete